January 9, 2015

Magnetic Family Home Evening {FHE} chart

I have been wanting a Family Home Evening (FHE) chart for a long time now, but nothing I’ve seen had really hit my fancy. I’m a fan of ORIGINAL & DIFFERENT, which I wasn’t finding on Pinterest and Etsy.  So of course, I decided to use my imagination and completely DIY it! My finished product ---> 

IMG_3108IMG_3102

I started out with the idea of making each person pose for the magnets and taking new pictures. But rather than going through that hassle I decided to go through our pictures from the past year and found some candid ones that I could use instead. We are always crazy, so it wasn’t very hard to find them :P

IMG_3036

I printed them on sticker paper (half sheet sticker labels to be exact, because I had them), and then sprayed them with a clear coat to seal them. I used matte clear coat, but next time I think I’ll use gloss. Once it was dry, I roughly cut them out, stuck them on a magnet sheet & then did a closer cut for the actual/finished magnets.

IMG_3041

I designed my whole FHE board in my Silhouette program, so I could lay everything out how I wanted & figure the sizes needed before I cut them all. The only thing I used my Sihouette machine for was to cut the vinyl for the “job” labels and for the “Family Home Evening” at the top.

image

Once cut, the vinyl job labels were weeded, then transferred to the sheet magnet & I cut them out by hand after that. The ‘Family Home Evening’ vinyl was applied directly to the metal.

IMG_3038

The main part of this project was the sheet metal background. My boys love magnets, so they definitely helped with the inspiration for this project. Grant always has random things laying around, and somehow I always need them! Luckily he had some left over AIR DUCT which was perfect for this FHE chart. He cut it out to the dimensions I wanted, I sanded it down to make it shiny and clean (air ducts are not that clean!!) & then drilled the holes for the screws. Then I put the ‘Family Home Evening’ vinyl on & hung up the metal. The boys helped with assigning our next FHE jobs!

IMG_3103

Since I had EVERYTHING I needed for this project & didn’t make one trip to the store for anything, I spent $0 for this project!!! Gotta love those kind of projects :D This FHE chart should last for a while, considering how easy it is to add more people to this chart or update the pictures, I’ll just need sticker paper & sheet magnets!

IMG_3110

Now…on to my next project!!

diy_with_kiley