October 28, 2013

G WEEK

Last week was G week and we did preschool almost everyday this week (aside from the weekend). G might be little G’s favorite letter, because it’s HIS letter so I made sure to do a preschool day just for him. We also did Germs (hard one to explain the G sound for Germs), Garbage, and Ghosts.

Little G – (1) We started with the big letter G and traced it with his finger. Then he put little pictures of himself all around it (how to make stickers). We practiced writing his name a lot. (2) Then we did an “about me” page with random facts about him – his name, his brother’s name, his age, his birthday, his favorite color, etc. (3) Last, I wrote in his journal & had him write a little bit too, and draw a picture!

image

Germs My sister had a great activity for germs and showing how they get on your hands and can spread to other people. But it used glitter, and I HATE glitter. So I opted for a different germ activity. (1) I used the hole punch and make a bunch of “germs” (hole punched circles) our of green paper and then traced his hands on the paper and he glued the germs to his hands. (2) I made up a germ matching game. I found random germ clipart on google then put them on both sides of the page to match (I used Powerpoint to create it). (3) Another activity from my sister’s preschool blog – shoot the germs with a bubble gun. Little G of course LOVED this one, I don’t know if it was the gun or the bubbles, but he did this one for a long time. (4) Lindsy also suggested this activity – I drew faces on plastic lids and little G covered them with “germs” (washable green marker). Then he put soap on them and washed the germs off. He loved playing in the water!

image

Garbage – I coupled G is Garbage with Recycling. (1) The boys first watched a few youtube video of garbage trucks and recycling centers (these three videos - one, two, three). One is a 9 minute video and they sat there and watched the whole thing, almost without moving! Boys love trucks!! (2) I found random clipart on google of garbage and items that can be recycled. He put an X on the garbage and a recycle sticker on the items that can be recycled. (3) With more recycle symbol stickers in different sizes, he sorted them – small, medium, and large. (4) I cut that same recycle symbol in vinyl and used it as a stencil for the boys to make our own recycle bins (tubs from Target, about $6 each). They had a blast coloring them, I was stressed because they had permanent markers…never a good thing! (5) They practiced putting garbage, plastic, cardboard and cans in the right bins. Now we have those bins in our garage and I have little G recycle for us whenever we have something. He loves it. (6) We went on a bike ride and looked for garbage. We had a bag for garbage and a bucket for things they could recycle. We only rode around our neighborhood, but there were a few construction site so our bag and bucket filled up quick. Later that day we took a trip to recycle what we had for that day. They loved it!

imageimage

Ghosts – Ghosts was on Friday, so it was close to Halloween week (this week). We had a lot of fun with Ghosts. (1) Little G colored THIS twistynoodle page and practiced writing ‘G’, ‘g’, and ‘BOO’. (2) We made THIS ghost using cotton balls, little B liked this one! (3) I drew ghosts on the paper with white crayon and the boys used do-a-dot markers to make them appear. (4) Using a ghost clipart on google I made this page. Each mouth is a different color and he had to find the crayon that matched and color it. He circled the ghost that looked like a “real” ghost. (5) a sensory “ghost” bag for little B (filled with clear hair gel and foam craft paper eyes and mouth). He loves squishing it (little G loves SMASHING it). (6) We practiced saying what a Ghost says “BOOOOOO” (7) Little G mad THESE ghosts. I got them started and drew the lines for him to cut. I loved seeing how hard he was concentrating on following the line while he cut. (8) Ghost bowling – I used some plastic cups (a couple bucks at Walmart), drew ghost faces on them and stacked them up in a pyramid. They bowled, or in little B’s case threw the ball directly at it from 1 foot away.

image

Ghost snacks – string cheese with a ghost face & a plate with a B on it while eating Funyuns, to spell BOO

image