April 4, 2013

Recycled car metal ring band

I really like making jewelry with recycled car metal! First of all, it’s free. Grant went to an auto body collision shop and asked for some scraps and they gave him a whole car hood! Second of all, you can make whatever you want and if you mess up, oh well…IT’S FREE! I have made earrings, rings, and necklaces. I wish I had more time to create more, but right now I only have the time to make a new ring for myself.

ring band

Grant and I were married almost 5 years ago and since then I’ve had two kids and my weight has obviously gone up and down a bit. As of right now, my wedding ring doesn’t fit, especially when it is cold. I never wear my wedding ring anymore because I know it will just slide of my finger, never to be found again. Rather than get it resized to fit my now skinny little finger, I just let it sit on the counter and think about wearing it. Instead, I decided to make a replacement ring until my wedding ring fits again (probably the next pregnancy).

IMG_0631

This replacement ring isn’t nearly as glamorous as my actual ring, but it is fun and unique.

IMG_0638

I even personalized it! (see the G + K)

IMG_0639

I’m not going to show the process of how I made it yet, but this is what I started with (car metal cut to size) -

0301131449

What I used to create this ring band:

And just for fun, here are some of the other rings I’ve made in the past

IMG_0650IMG_0653IMG_0651

I particularly like the white of my new ring – makes me think of my wedding all over again. Take about fun!

IMG_0641

**MORE DIY JEWELRY PROJECTS**

diy with kiley

 

 

 

FEATURED ON:

gingersnapcraftsimageimage