April 11, 2013

Rustic Juniper Log Mantels

I was making a couple juniper log mantels for a while and finally finished them up not too long ago. I made one for my sister and one for another family she knows. They both wanted the raw, natural edge of the juniper log, which I think looks really unique and eye catching.

IMG_0661

With all my log furniture, I go out and cut the trees down and come home to mill them myself (yes, I have my own sawmill and even made it myself. That’s a whole other post!). Saves a ton of money, considering mantels like these sell for $1000 to $2000.

IMG_0182

The logs for these mantels actually came from Oregon where we’re originally from and I brought them out to Montana where we live now. I’m not going to go into detail on how I made them, but I did make Kiley help me cut them. I finished them a few coats of polyurethane over the course of about a week, for drying time in between coats. 

0105132156

Hopefully I’ll get some pictures from them once they get their mantels installed. They came and got them not too long ago but hopefully it will be soon! Until then, these are the picture I have:

IMG_0662
IMG_0663

IMG_0188IMG_9836IMG_0189

diy with grant

 

 

FEATURED ON:

girlinspired