January 11, 2014

Monster Birthday Party!!

This little guy had a monster party this weekend for his 2nd birthday. I’m working on becoming a better party planner or party “thrower” for my kiddos. Thank goodness for Pinterest!  I probably should have broken this post up into each DIY project that went into making this party, but I didn’t. Scroll down for lots of fun ideas & how-tos!

Monster party[bow tie from The Baxter Boy, Monster shirt - DIY below]

First came the invitations. I found THIS on Pinterest and did my best after that.

Monster invitation[our personal info is censored, in case you were wondering what that mess was under the date!!]

Monster Party Invitation how-to:

1. Take a picture of the child with a large blank space in the photo – use a wall or, in my case, a bed sheet!
2. I don’t have a photo editing program, so I used Power Point to make the invitation!
     FONTS –
Highland Perk & Ice Age
3. Add some cute monsters all over the invitation. I almost drew my own monsters and scanned them in to use on the invitation, but instead I just searched on google images.
4. Print photos. I used Wal-Mart to print these invitations, cost less than $2 for all of them.

Then came the party stuff.

Monster party

I made a monster shirt for the birthday boy to wear to his monster party! Again, I love my Silhouette. Super easy to make shirts, especially at the last minute.

Monster shirt  IMG_4664
Note: DO NOT wear white shirts for birthday parties. It is now nicely stained with pizza sauce, frosting, playdough, etc. Oh well!

Monster Shirt how-to:

1. Buy a solid/blank shirt (Wal-Mart & Target usually have good deals for the littler kids, Joanns & Michaels has good deals for the other kids/adults).
2. Find Monster clipart on google or wherever you like to search.
      *import image into Silhouette studio
3. Cut vinyl. I used these colors:
      *
Cyan Blue, Yellow, Red & Green.

I converted some party hats & sippy cups into monsters with just some googly eyes & a hot glue gun (inspired by THIS). How-to: add glue, add googly eyes. EASY!

Monster party  Monster party activity
[the googly eyes & hot glue can be removed from the sippy cups with a little effort, or you can give them away as party favors!]

After everyone showed up, I gave them a coloring page of a monster without any eyes (find it HERE). First they colored it, then they got a little tub of playdough and had to find the googly eyes hidden in it. They glued them on their monster coloring page and made some really crazy looking monsters!

Monster party activity IMG_4708

We had a mid-morning party, so I served them lunch. We had monster mini-pizzas and some veggies (sliced carrots & peas). The mini pizzas are just a few simple ingredients & cook in less than 10 minutes. This picture shows the easy steps:

monster mini-pizzas, Monster party

Monster mini-pizza how-to:

1. With a can of Pillsbury biscuits (or store brand!), roll them out flat & spread out on cookie sheet.
2. Add sauce – I use Ragu
3. Add cheese
4. Add Canadian bacon (or pepperoni) & top with an olive slice – to make the eye
5. Cut a sharp teeth mouth from cheese. I thought this would turn out a lot better after it cooked, but it was just a blob of melted cheese, so you could skip this step if you want!
6. Cook according to directions on the biscuit can.

Kids love them (despite the very unenthusiastic face of little G mid-bite)!!

Monster party pizza

Then came my boys’ favorite part, the monster cupcakes. These were so fun to make. I’ve never been into decorating cakes, but I love watching Cupcake wars & the like. I didn’t make anything from scratch, I’m not that hardcore. But I did make the teeth, tongues, & mouths.

Monster party cupcakes

Monster Cupcake how-to:

1. Bake the cupcakes, from a box if you’re like me, and after they’ve cooled top with a thin layer of frosting.
2. Using a
Multi-Opening Decorating Tip, Ready-To-Use Icing Tubes (I used blue, green & orange) and a standard coupler, start adding the monster “hair/fur”. I’m definitely not an expert at cake decorating, but I did one outer layer of “hair/fur” and then filled in the very center with it.
3. Stragically place the
candy eyeballs.
4. Finish with the mouth & tongue or teeth using
Airheads and black candy melts (see below for more details!).

This is how I did the teeth, tongues & mouths, and I recommend making these before you start decorating the cupcakes. I found some little cookie cutters to experiment with, the star & the gingerbread man worked the best. I used a bunch of different colors of Airheads & made teeth with the tip of the star cookie cutter, and tongues with the head of the gingerbread man cookie cutter. A finishing touch with the tongues is a little intend using a toothpick. As for the mouths, I melted some black candy melts and used a sandwich baggie to make a piping bag. On wax paper I drew different kinds of mouths, turned it over (so I didn’t pipe on the marker) and piped out a bunch of mouths. Once they dry, they are ready to use.

Monster party cupcakes

Final step for our monster party – Sing ‘Happy Birthday’, blow out the candles & chow down!

Monster party Monster party

(I thought about doing more “monster” games and activities, but they are only 2 and mainly wanted to play with our toys.
So I let it be and they had fun anyway. You can find more of my Monster Party ideas on Pinterest.)

IMG_4633[bow tie & suspenders from The Baxter Boy]

image

diy with kiley

 

 

{FEATURED ON}
meaningfulmama