October 9, 2014

Kid Friendly {and super fun} Gender Reveal

I am pregnant with my third baby and I had yet to do something fun like this for a gender reveal. With our first kid, we had the ultrasound tech put it in an envelope and we opened it for Christmas. Our second kid, we just had the ultrasound tech tell us during the ultrasound. But with #3 I wanted to do something fun, mainly because our two kids are old enough to get excited about it. So I came up with a modified version of a gender reveal that a friend of mine suggested.

genderreveal 

I had the ultrasound tech, once again, write the baby’s gender down and put it in an envelope! Then on my way home, I stopped by a friends house and had her help me with the next part.

 20141009_111520~2

First project in this project! – SQUIRT BOTTLES. I turned these $.97 squirt bottles from Wal-Mart from clear to black ‘secret keepers’ {how to: sand the bottle a little, spray with primer, then black (maybe two coats just to be safe), done!}

IMG_1640IMG_1642IMG_1645

The only other items I bought were blue & pink kool-aid packets = $.20 each, and a white shirt (to fit my husband) = $3 at Joanns.

When I stopped at my friends house on the way home, I handed over the squirt bottles, kool-aid, and the envelope with the gender in it. She hid in the kitchen and opened the envelope, then proceeded to fill the squirt bottles with the correlating kool-aid (and water). It’s was exciting to see how excited she was about it!! I carefully hid them from sight until my husband got home from work for the reveal. That was hard!!

   20141009_115718

With the white shirt, I used my silhouette to cut out ‘it’s a’ from heat press vinyl. It was a really easy shirt to make, but I did have the tools on hand. If you don’t have a silhouette or heat transfer you could always use a sharpie, or if you are really interested let me know. I can make more!!

IMG_1647

Then came the fun & super-duper exciting part!! The reveal!

We went outside & gave each boy a squirt bottle. We told them what was up and what they had to do. I think they were more excited to spray their dad than care about the color/gender it was!!  

IMG_1653

On the count of three, start spraying him (well…his shirt). 1……2……3!!!

  IMG_1654 IMG_1655 IMG_1659 IMG_1662

And if you couldn’t guess by the color…it’s a girl!!

IMG_1664

Such a fun (and pretty easy) gender reveal. They boys loved squirting their dad, we loved the surprise of the color, I loved not getting squirted or eating cake (call me crazy)…and we’re all excited it’s a girl!

IMG_1667

What you need for this gender reveal:

Squirt bottles (for however many kids/people you want in on the action) ----> $.97 each
Spray paint if you buy clear bottles like I did -----------------------------------> $4 each
Kool-aid packets (depending on how many squirt bottles you have) -----------> $.20 each
White shirt (with heat press vinyl) -------------------------------------------------> $3 on sale
A good friend to help you out --------------------------------------------------------> priceless ;)

HAVE FUN!!

diy_with_kiley

3 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME! My baby days are over, but I love the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me so happy!! Congratulations!!! I love having a DIYer as a friend, so many good ideas...for a later date.

    ReplyDelete