December 5, 2016

Christmas Countdown - drawstring bags

I have been in need of a good Christmas countdown for my kids for a long time! I ususally just print out a picture of Santa and they pull Hershey Kisses off his beard, or a calendar they put stickers on. So, I decided to take it a little further, and hopefully this one will last a long time. This project literally took me 2 1/2 hours to complete, and cost me nothing because I had everything in my "office" already, aside from the treats!


My side business, The Baxter Boy, has some Christmas prints left over from past years, so I used those pre-cut rectangles to make my bags. Start with a 5" x 8" piece of fabric.


Fold over the "top" along the long side of the fabric, wrong sides together, about 1/2". Sew in place.


Then fold in half, right sides together, with the 'top' at the top. Sew around the bottom and side edges, stopping at the seam you previously just sewed. When you cut off the strings, also cut the 'top' corner at an angle.


Turn inside out!


Use a ribbon, or string, rope, etc, with a safety pin on the end and slide it through the 'top'. This is your drawstring. Once it is all the way through, tie the ends together, leaving as much length as you want (I left about 2").


The final step was using my Silhouette machine to cut out some grey heat press vinyl numbers (1-24), and I used 'Mountains of Christmas' font. My numbers are about 1.5" tall.


Then fill them with treats! I also included a daily service idea for them to do (see HERE).


And hang them up with clothespins. I only had yarn, so that's what I went with to hang them on. It's up high enough that the kids can't grab them whenever they feel like a snack ;)



Merry Christmas [countdown]!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment