May 20, 2013

polka dot coat hangers

I have two little boys, and their room is always a mess. In fact, the whole house is always a mess! So to cut down on some of the mess, I made them some coat hangers for their room. Now we don’t have coats and hats hanging out by the front door or on the floor in their room.

image

First I had little G man help me find lots of random circles to trace. We used bowls, a lid, sandpaper, and a tape dispenser.

IMG_1036

I traced those on a 3/4” wide board (custom milled by Grant!), some of the little ones I traced a couple of times.

IMG_1037

Then I got to work on my scroll saw and cut out all the circles, then sanded the rough edges and tops.

IMG_1040

Then little G man helped me pick out the colors. His favorite was the green!

IMG_1042

I ended up using orange, green, red, blue & yellow paint, which matches the dresser knobs, shelves and stripes on the wall in their room. Paint each of the circles with a couple layers then top it off with a couple more layers of clear coat.

IMG_1044
[you can see on the spray paint board the outline of my Quote Wall that I made previously!]

I didn’t take any pictures of this part, but I laid out the hooks on the 4 bigger circles and marked where the screws needed to go. I pre-drilled the holes (smaller than the screws). To hang them, I hid the screw going into the wall under the hook.

IMG_1050  IMG_1051

Then I added the hooks. I didn’t want the placement to be right in the middle (mainly because the double hooks made the circles look like a cat face or some other animal, without the eyes, and it was bugging me!), so I put them randomly on the circles.

IMG_1052  IMG_1055

The really small dots I just hammered in penny nails and cut the ends off with aviator tin snips. That made them easy to hammer into the wall. **Add a touch of glue to the nails before you put them in the wall and they will actually stay. I tried just putting them on the wall without anything and they stayed, but were super easy to take off. I know the boys would have had a hay day with those weapons if they found out about them!

0518131940  0518131941

And the finished product, a fun little addition to their room.

IMG_1058     IMG_1056

Tools used/needed:
*1 x ___ boards (mine was custom cut by Grant)
*Random circles (bowls, lids, etc.) to trace
*Scroll saw
*Sandpaper
*Spray paint & clear coat (Rustoleum Ultra Cover)
*Coat hooks (I got mine at Target and Home Depot)
*Drill (drill and screw bits)
*Stud finger &/or drywall anchors
*Extra screws (for putting them on the wall)
*Penny nails
*Tin snips
*glue (opt)
diy with kiley

 

FEATURED ON:

realfamilyfun