May 29, 2013

Upcycled Log Planter

I got the idea for this log planter from a random HGTV show that I watched years ago. It was a really easy project and took less than an hour to make. I’m sure I did it the hard way too!!

IMG_1136

Surprisingly this log was not cut by Grant! Instead we got it from an empty lot that just cut down a bunch of trees so they can start building. Grant was given permission and already took the majority of the larger, longer logs, but I wanted a smaller one for this project.

IMG_1122

I used a spade bit and drilled some holes pretty close together and fairly deep.

IMG_1123

Then I used the hammer and chisel to get more of the guts out and smooth out the edges. I finished it by using the drill again and basically used it like a mixer to make the hole bigger and deeper.

IMG_1124

I put a little dirt in it and then a couple free flowers we got from a local nursery. Pretty easy and super fast. I’m not the best green thumb out there, but hopefully they will actually keep growing and bloom! Now I want at least one more, but in a bigger log right next to this one by my front door.

IMG_1134

 

IMG_1125

 

Tools needed:  

*Drill
*Spade bit
*Hammer
*Chisel

 

 

**update** Grant came home from work and made the second one!
IMG_1144 IMG_1143

diy with kiley