May 16, 2013

Quote Wall

I don’t know how common this is, but our family is all over the quote wall. Family reunions are the best time to start one, but we also have one at our house ALL THE TIME. Each year we start over and at the end of the year we read through the whole list of quotes. It’s definitely one of my favorite things we have in our house, keeps the laughter going.

IMG_1003

If you are new to Quote Walls, it’s just a collection of random quotes that people say that are particularly funny/interesting/random/etc. (especially when taken out of context!). In the past we just had a paper on the fridge that we would add quotes to, but I’m getting sick of my fridge being cluttered. I’m slowly finding a better place for everything and it was the quote wall’s turn.

IMG_1004This quote by Grant pretty much shows how awesome quote walls are (along with how sassy Grant is and how cool my family isWinking smile)

I have the perfect spot to put this quote wall board on my wall down the hall, but it isn’t up yet so no picture until it’s totally done and in it’s official spot. To make this I started with a 11” x 24” pine board (cut & milled by Grant of course). For the top and bottom design I used my Silhouette to cut it out on cardstock (design is from the Organic Bloom - June). The side design I free handed.

image

Then I cut it out with my scroll saw, had Grant router the edges (for some reason I’m still a pansy when it comes to the router), lots of sanding, and then I painted. I put a couple coats of black spray paint then a couple coats of white. I sanded the edges so the black showed through, but I kept it light enough that I didn’t get to the wood. I just wanted a touch of black to show. Then I added a couple coats of clear coat. I LOVE how the plaque design and colors turned out. It has an organic bloom look, but custom to the size & design I wanted.

IMG_0980

To finish it off, the Silhouette cut ‘Quote Wall’ out of black vinyl and I applied it with transfer tape (as always). Then came the best part, adding all the quotes we had written down so far for 2013 (we start our quote wall over each year). I used sticky notes (cut in half, all I had on hand was the bigger sticky notes). Because of the clear coat the sticky notes stick great and are also easy to take off. It was fun re-reading them and getting a kick out of the random things we say :) Here’s a sampling.

image

My other favorite part about this quote wall is the back. When I had the board on the counter with the design drawn out, my little G man decided he wanted to draw all over it too, without me knowing. I kept it on the back, for a keepsake! I should have had him sign his name!! Also notice the keyhole in the back. Grant used the router to cut it and now I can hang it without any trouble.

IMG_0979

There you have it. If you don’t have a quote wall in your house yet, start one! It’s fun to randomly say “QUOTE WALL” after someone says something and they know it is committed to the wall where everyone can read and remember it. They are one of the best things to read at the end of the year!

IMG_1002

Project Equipment & Details:
*11” x 24” pine board
*scroll saw
*Sihouette Machine (not totally necessary) with Organic Bloom design - Jane
*router – edges & keyhole
*Rustoleum spray paint – Matte Black, Matte White & Clearcoat Matte
*USCutter Intermediate Greenstar vinyl – Black & transfer tape
*Quote Wall font – Quilted Butterfly

diy with kiley