November 18, 2013

DIY Build-a-Bug magnet set

image

Not too long ago I saw this Build-A-Bug magnet setwhile I was looking for fun stuff for I week in preschool (I is for Insects). I really liked this idea, but didn’t have the time to wait for the set to be shipped since I waited until the last minute (the price isn’t bad, so that isn’t what stopped me). So I got to work!

First I drew some build-a-bug parts. I’m not an artist, so they aren’t fancy or anything, but you get the idea. There are heads, eyes, antennas, legs, bodies (thorax/abdomens), wings, and mouths.

image

I printed those bug parts on sticker paper,then colored them with sharpies. I was going to have the boys color them, but I decided to have them cut and ready to go for preschool instead. I tried out a new technique for sealing them, and instead of my usual contact paper I used clear coat spray paint!It worked great!!

IMG_3855

Then apply the sticker paper to the magnet sheet. I ordered a huge roll of this stuff for random projects I knew I’d have someday! The cut away. This magnet sheeting is too thick for my silhouette, otherwise I would have DEFINTIELY cut it that way instead.

IMG_3856

Here are all the bug parts, cut out and ready to go.

IMG_3857

I had the boys use the fridge as the ‘magnet board’ but you could use a cookie sheet or anything magnetic. My boys came up with some pretty interesting insects!!

IMG_3871IMG_3876IMG_3877IMG_3880IMG_3883

{what you need}
  --Build-a-bug printout
  --Sticker paper
  --Sharpies
  --Clear coat spray paint
  --Magnet sheet
  --Scissors

diy with kiley

 

FEATURED ON:

someday ill learntrueaimblog