November 7, 2013

Life-size board game

My boys are still too little to really understand board games, but this is a great way to introduce the concept to them. If you have older kids that actually know how to play board games, this will just be a fun change for them, to play it life-size!!

IMG_3688

I used sidewalk chalk and drew squares, big enough for them to stand in, and drew them one after the other all over the driveway and down the sidewalk. I did a few turns and bends in the path just to add some excitement to the “board” game.

IMG_3694IMG_3695IMG_3696
[our driveway is obviously not the cleanest!]

Again, my boys are really little still so I didn’t add anything fun to the squares. But you could easily add extra things in them, like -

  • move 2 squares back
  • jump 1 square forward
  • run to the nearest corner square
  • etc!

IMG_3711

I also made a big die for the game, out of a 3 x 3 board we had. Personally I really like using lumber and wood whenever I get the chance, but you could easily use a square cardboard box, a big foam cube, plastic cube, or even just a regular die.

IMG_3702

Then I let my oldest roll the die and he counted and jumped that many squares ahead of him on the ‘board’ game. My youngest didn’t have a clue what was going on, except lots of jumping, so it was just little G and I playing the game.

IMG_3705

He loved rolling the die and counting out the squares, since he is a master at counting now!

IMG_3704 IMG_3693

Needless to say it was a pretty fun game. If it was a little warmer outside (not in the 40’s) we would have stayed out longer and had a great time playing it over and over and over again. Instead we only played it twice before we froze!!

IMG_3700

{What you need}
-sidewalk chalk
-a sidewalk &/or driveway
-big cube of some sort (wood, cardboard, foam, plastic, or just a regular die)

diy with kiley